Thursday, April 26, 2007

Debate Superstar

I used come home from middle school and talk to my cat, Mr. Mistoffelees. I'd dress him up like a Senator; sometimes a princess and then we'd chat about things.

That's how I got into debate.

I started working the amateur circuit when I was 13; three years later I was unstoppable. Here's a picture of an interview I did with CNN at the NDT along with the accompanying transcript.


Reporter: What are you doing?
Me: Debating. Definitely debating.
Reporter: I meant in front of the girls' bathroom?
Me: Well Steve, can I call you Steve? If I've read that sign correctly, a female invalid should be rolling by any second.
Reporter: You're waiting for a woman in a wheelchair?
Britt: Steve, Britt knows what he wants and tonight he wants an invalid.
Reporter: Why would you want that?
Britt: When you resort to attacking the messenger and not the message, you've lost the debate.
Reporter: So what's the message?
Britt: Girls without legs can't run.

Reporter: Good point.
Me: Of course it's a good point. You're debating the B-Man . . . good points are the only kind he's got.

No comments: